Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Painted Violin Auction



This Sunday is the auction of the violins that were painted and altered to benefit the Rappahannock Youth Symphony. This is a very dedicated group of music students, and it was great fun to help them out. Twelve artists were selected to take a violin that was no longer playable, and turn it into an art piece. I am amazed at the variety and quality of the violins that came out of this group. If you'd like to see all of them, follow this link:


Here is my violin. My theme was Tea and Symphony. The youth symphony holds a tea-themed fundraiser each year and I thought it would be fun to highlight that. The most fun part of this violin was cutting into it with the dremel too. Then I had that uh-oh moment when I realized that I had to put something wonderful inside the hole that I had made.





Many thanks to my friend Janet Moss who was able to make the vinyl cutout on the back for me with her pazzle machine. I found the silhouette at an auction and thought it would be perfect for the piece.

Hope you like it!
This is my first post on my first blog, so comments and suggestions are welcome.
Leslie

3 comments:

~*~Patty S said...

What an amazing first post Leslie = WOWEE! The violin is fantastic, very interesting too. I would think it will be hard to part with even for a good cause! I will add you to my Blogroll so I can visit again :)

Janet Meyers Moss said...

Nice to see the violin all tea stained and finished....ladies, you should have seen it in person!! WOW! And I'm so excited to see that the vinyl silhouette really did come out looking good!

Lanise said...

Serious kudos, Leslie...Tiny Tears and now a violin...I ache to hold it!!! Any chance of bringing it to the group or will it be gone to its' new home by our next meeting? Congratulations on a job well done and I'm looking forward to what you will show us next!