Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Moon Pies and Coca Cola

Last week, I found a huge galvanized tub at a local thrift store. This is the quintessential background prop for every great antique-y country magazine spread that I ever drooled over, and I was thrilled to find it. We were hosting my mom's birthday party that weekend, so I decided that Coca Cola and Moon Pies would be waiting for our guests when they arrived.

As we prepared for the party, my husband, who grew up in the country, was completely puzzled and wanted to know why a container that "probably held horse feed" at one time was suddenly the star of my party. He suggested that it might be better to put it on the floor, or better yet, outside, because it might leak.

I informed him that I had thoroughly scrubbed and bleached it, in case it used to hold, I don't know... body parts or some other farm-like thing that they never show in the magazines, and that it hadn't leaked at all. We compromised and put it on the side table. 

When my family arrived, everyone was thrilled to see coca cola and moon pies on ice in a big galvanized tub!  Hah! And my sisters and I had a nice long conversation about how great it was. I think my husband learned his lesson: Don't mess with your city-slicker wife and her faux country sensibilities.



On the main table (where the lowly galvanized tub did not belong)  We had a centerpiece, cake and presents. My daughter Sylvan made this cool explosion box to hold birthday greetings. My neighbor Jill showed us a totally awesome explosion box that she'd made for her dad for Father's Day, and Sylvan and I  had been wanting to try it. Sylvan put one of her handmade miniature cakes in the middle. I think it turned out great.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

What a lovely celebration for a great occasion! Sylvan's box is amazing! Happy birthday, Mom!

FillyFolly aka Your Little Sister said...

Well I loved it, and the party was fun! If you ever happen to find another galvanized tub you can go ahead and pick one up for me because I *need* one too.

Nancy said...

Love it, Leslie! For what was my last Sato trade show, we had bottled Coke in galvanized tubs as part of the booth. I still have the tub and I'm thinking it would be fun to put it out (definitely with the moonpies!) on one of our neighborhood outdoor movie nights.